Four of the fatalities were staff members, and the remaining victims were patients and attendants. Eight of the injured were sent to the intensive care unit of a government hospital in the city and were said to be in severe condition.
Siddharth Bahuguna, superintendent of police (SP), Jabalpur, stated that preliminary investigations showed that a generator in Newlife Multispeciality Hospital caught fire as a result of a short-circuit during a power outage. The individuals were unable to flee because of the generator, which was located at the entrance gate.
"A few people tried to escape the hospital's big fire by going inside to save the patients inside, but they were unable to do so. The top story was quickly reached by the fire, according to Bahuguna. "Police and the fire department arrived promptly and extinguished the fire."